[erlang-questions] Yaws with HTPPS authentication + HTTP

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Thu May 24 22:52:55 CEST 2007

HTTPS *is* HTTP over SSL. That's what the S means (unless it means
TLS). It's transport level encryption that prevents eavesdropping and
man in the middle attacks. This is what uses the CPU.  It's still
*just* HTTP other than the transport, in the same way that HTTP is the
same over wireless or wired LAN.

Typical HTTPS implementations do of course have a server certificates
so that the client can verify they're talking to the same server over
several different requests. Client certificates are different in that
each client needs their own certificate that the server can use to
verify who the client is. If you're using client certs you don't need
logins or passwords.

-bob