[erlang-questions] Subtle behaviour of Erlang scheduler

KatolaZ me@REDACTED
Thu May 24 19:10:58 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 08:58:32AM -0500, Jordan Wilberding wrote:
> KatolaZ wrote:
> >
> > But the real mess is that the behaviour changes depending on WHEN you
> > excecute that code. In fact, as reported in our previous mail, if you
> > launch the original test:test() (that without timer:sleep() in proc2)
> > as the first function after starting erl, it hangs up and never
> > returns. On the other hand, if you first try to execute the
> > test:test() with timer:sleep() and then you remove the timer:sleep()
> > and recompile, it WORKS.  And if you start again erl to run it, it
> > DOES NOT WORK.
> >

> I think this is because you are using register, which registers those
> processes globally. As far as I know, those remain active throughout the
> life of the shell.

We still don't understand why the same code has different behaviours
when executed as the first function and when executed the second or
the third time. It is also quite astonishing that a silly process as
proc2 can *definetively* lock the scheduler, pushing out all other
processes, including the shell.....

I suppose we hit a serious bug...

HND

Enzo and Corrado

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]