[erlang-questions] some language changes

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed May 23 16:39:08 CEST 2007

I started playing with the idea of being able to define
modules pretty much the same way as records are handled
in the shell.

For example:

1> md("
-module(foo).
plus(A,B) -> A+B.
").
{module, foo}

2> foo:plus(1,2).
3

But a few stumbling blocks made me abort the effort
(that, and my bus ride ended, and I had to hop onto
my bike - I've yet to learn how to program while
riding a mountain bike).

One problem is that epp is not willing to take
just a stream of bytes (this has been discussed
before on this list), but desperately wants to
read a regular file.

Another problem is that the shell is decidedly
line-oriented, so it doesn't look like I sketched
above, but rather:

1> md("
1> -module(foo).
1> ...

And you cannot move the cursor up a line, making it
cumbersome to edit the code in this mode.

It may still be worth it, though.

BR,
Ulf W