[erlang-questions] Semaphores

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Thu Mar 15 16:54:42 CET 2007

Hi, as you have good insight to robot programming. I would like to
query you about  the language http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esterel
that I found interesting.  To me it screams 'robot arm control!' since
it can express FIR filters so eloquently for various automatic control
problems and can compile down to a huge statemachine in c source to
run quickly.

The programming model is parallell finite state machines that emits
signals and react to signals. It is reminiscent of erlang message
passing, only different.

I was imagining it as a component in robot programming, a high level
erlang one that deals with mission, communicating and getting alerts
from a lower level one in esterel that does automatic control for
positioning limbs as desired. The lower level can run with a high
priority to never miss a deadline. It can even run on a separate cpu
or micro controller.

Is this language (and the others in the same paradigm) discarded as
useless eye-candy, or is it one of those gems waiting to be
discovered?