[erlang-questions] Semaphores

Corrado Santoro csanto@REDACTED
Thu Mar 15 15:27:49 CET 2007

Danesh Daroui wrote:
> Its cool. I am interested to find out more about your solution.
Maybe at the next EUC ;-)

> It seems
> that you have solved the problem using State Machines, but if you use a
> server to pass messages through it, it might be the reason that message
> passing is not fast enough as you expect. However, you said that the
> problem is solved, but defining a channel which is accessible by all
> processes to send their request (asynchronous or synchronous doesn't
> matter but synchronous needs its own simulation in Erlang) to one or
> more than one processes which handle requests. Each sender can also have
> its private channel to get the result. Anyway, I thought sending
> messages between processes (not in a distributes architecture) is fast
> enough to avoid such problems. Your task must be very critical. ;)
They are not so critical, but an unexpected latency could cause e.g. a
wrong navigation. For example, one task is to make the robot rotate of a
given angle: we turn on the motors and then we "poll" reading the
current orientation. This is made by means a couple of communicating
processes (one for interacting with the motor controller and another to
perform rotation control): if the latencies are too high, the robot
could overcome the target and stop with a wrong orientation.

In our current implementation, there are no unexpected latencies. But,
we experienced these problems when we used OTP behaviours (gen_fsm,
etc.). Please note that the robot is quite fast, so milliseconds are
important.

In any case, if we have time, we'll make some measurement in order to
give some numerical quantities!

--Corrado

Eng. Corrado Santoro, Ph.D.
University of Catania - ITALY - Engineering Faculty

Tel: +39 095 7382380        VoIP: sip:7035@REDACTED

Personal Home Page: http://www.diit.unict.it/users/csanto
     NUXI Home Page: http://nuxi.diit.unict.it