[erlang-questions] Emacs Erlang mode: how to compile properly?

Denys Rtveliashvili rtvd@REDACTED
Sat Jun 30 12:37:26 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am new to Erlang and I'd like to ask someone experienced in
development with Erlang for advice.
As far as I see, Emacs is some kind of official IDE for Erlang and there
is an Erlang mode for it. Emacs serves me well for Common LISP, so I
tried it. However, I can't get the idea on how should the development
process look like. And googling for a few days did not reveal anything
very useful.

- In Common LISP I would compile and upload the code into virtual
machine by just clicking a key binding. Also, there is a support for
LISP-native build system "ASDF" and I can build whatever package I want.

- In C++ I have to run "make" and after a successful build I need to run
the application.

- As for Erlang, I can create a makefile and re-run the program every
time I change and rebuild it, but it look like the development process
should be similar to the one in LISP. I see that it is possible to
connect to Erlang machine (at least by using  Distel) and do something
in it.
However:
* I do not see any way to "rebuild" the whole project and refresh the
code in virtual machine from Emacs. Is this functionality available?
* The Ctrl-C Ctrl-K combination does re-compile the currently opened
document. However, it does so only if all the dependencies are on the
system path or in the current directory. Which is usually not true, as
Erlang projects tend to have .erl files in "src" directory and ".hrl" in
"include". So, when I try to compile an Erlang source code from within
Emacs it does not do so because it can't find .erl files (which are in
../include).

I hope, there is a description of the development process somewhere.
Could someone give me a link or write a few words about it?

Thank you,
Denis Rtveliashvili