[erlang-questions] gen_tcp:send(Sock, SmallPacket) issue

Dave Smith dizzyd@REDACTED
Wed Jun 20 00:33:54 CEST 2007

On 6/19/07, David Mercer <dmercer@REDACTED> wrote:

> On the other hand, I'm not sure that TCP offers much advantage over UDP if
> you're going to use application-level acknowledgments.  So long as you keep
> you messages short enough for a single datagram...

I would note that TCP does a lot more than just ACKs. There's also the
fragmentation management, packet ordering guarantees, congestion
control, etc. In this day of abundant, speedy, scalable TCP stacks it
seems silly to use UDP unless you really, really want to re-implement
all the above functionality.

D.