[erlang-questions] Maximum number of Mnesia nodes

Hakan Mattsson hakan@REDACTED
Fri Jul 27 19:08:52 CEST 2007

The scalability of Mnesia depends heavily of your
access patterns and how you have configured Mnesia.

If you ensure that the number of nodes involved in a
typical transaction is constant, Mnesia should scale
very well. One way of achieving linear scalability
characteristics, is to use the concept called
"foreign_key" in the chapter about fragmented
tables. The bench example (mnesia/examples/bench)
utilizes this technique.

When I wrote the "bench" benchmark example it turned
out to scale almost perfectly linear. (By distributing
the Mnesia tables over twice as many computers, the
number of processed transactions per second also
doubled.) But by that time I only had access to 10 (or
was it 16?) identical computers, so I cannot say
anything about how Mnesia scales beyond that. Worth to
mentition is that I also did successfully run the bench
example with fragmented tables distributed over all our
machines at the office (50+). But as those computers
had so different characteristics, it is impossible to
say anything about the scalability. It was fun that it
worked though.

Chandru, do you still have the highscore of the number
of Mnesia nodes in a production environment?

/Håkan