[erlang-questions] The meaning of OTP...

Anthony Kong KONGA@REDACTED
Thu Jul 19 01:42:54 CEST 2007

What about "Oh, That's Powerful!" :-)

I think rebranding is usually a (meaningless) marketing exercise. Erlang excels by its technical merit and this alone has enough marketing power. OTP highlights where its heritage has come from and I think it is a good thing.

For example, if you have read Joe's book, he mentioned about how Mnesia get her name: "The original name was Amnesia. One of our bosses didn’t like the name. He said, “You can’t possibly call it Amnesia*you can’t have a database that forgets things!” So we dropped the A, and the name stuck."

I cannot help laughing whenever i read this,

This is this kind of little stories make erlange what it is today, I reckon.  (+ other big technial/language design decision, of course)

So, just keep OTP as it is, unless the same boss has something to say again

(Actually I am too new to erlang to make comment as such, but that's just how I feel)

Cheers, Anthony

>>> "Mike Berrow" <mberrow1@REDACTED> 19/07/2007 7:03 am >>>
How about
"Omnipotence Through Parallelism"

-- Mike

*****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
addressed and its content is not intended for use by any other
persons.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately.  Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer.  Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message
is strictly prohibited.

St.George Bank Limited AFSL 240997, Advance Asset Management Limited
AFSL 240902,  St.George Life Limited AFSL 240900, ASGARD Capital Management Limited
AFSL 240695 and Securitor Financial Group Limited AFSL 240687 is not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.