[erlang-questions] The meaning of OTP...

David Mercer <>
Wed Jul 18 16:20:23 CEST 2007

Igwan wrote:
> To the contrary, I think people have an idea of robustness and
> reliability when they think of telecoms (the good old and always working
> PSTN phone lines as opposed to the big unreliable internet :) and in the
> mind of programmers you can add fault-tolerance and distribution they
> 've been dreaming about all of their career :) Coming from the telecom
> industry my objectiveness may be flawed here :) , but IMAO, Erlang
> should not dismiss its telecom heritage, it's all but a turn-off.

I agree completely.  I do not come from a telecom background, but when I
found out that OTP is related to the running of telephone networks, I
immediately thought of how reliable telephone networks are (when was the
last time you were kicked off a telephone call because the entire telephone
system had to be rebooted?) and how this might be a viable choice for my
nontelecoms applications.

I do not think it should be changed to Open Transaction Platform, because
all that is doing is replacing the only meaningful word in the acronym with
a buzzword, making the term completely meaningless.  Not only that, OTP has
nothing to do with transactions, so it is not only meaningless, but also