[erlang-questions] JavaScript compiler for Erlang

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jul 17 09:20:47 CEST 2007

Thanks - I found the narcissus code.

Then I built the stand-alone version of spidermonkey - and tried to load the
narcissus code into the stand-alone spidermoney and ... nothing
happened. It just
sat staring at me like an underfed cat and refused to purr.

I read (well skimmed) the code for the javascript-in-javascript parser.

This is neat code and not the kind of stuff you write after having read the
first few chapters of the Dragon book. It's  a mix of a lexer, a
recursive descent parser
and a operator precedence parser - all rolled together into a single file.

Since it's a meta-interpreter I've no idea if the code is even correct
and if it computes
the same values as the embedded js interpreters.

So the problem of a parser still remains - I suspect the easiest way
is to make a library from spidermonkey and use the C parser, and hack
this to dump the parse tree in
a suitable form. Embedding spidermonkey in Erlang would have the added
advantage of
making any new js interpreter/compiler easy to test - just by running
the same function in
the real interpreter and in the Erlang version.

/Joe