[erlang-questions] Performance of the append/reverse idiom

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jul 16 09:53:06 CEST 2007

Is reverse a bottleneck?

Very rarely.

The are some *extremely* rare cases where people write code to handle
both reversed
and non-reverse lists (I think the library routines for sort remember
if the current
list being sorted is in normal or reversed order) but this is only useful when
you're interested in making a tiny gain in efficiency (it also make the code
a  mess to read).

The most common bottleneck are in the I/O system. Parsing inputs (in
any language)
is always a slow - other bottleneck are usually in the process
structure - using a centralized server that serializes everything can
make nasty bottlenecks.

/Joe