[erlang-questions] Erlang and geospatial data

Richard Andrews bbmaj7@REDACTED
Sat Jul 14 13:27:26 CEST 2007

--- Matthew Perry <perrygeo@REDACTED> wrote:
>  Not coincidentally, this is why I started looking at Erlang. Has
> anyone had any experience using Erlang to analyze similar data
> structures? Do there exist any geometry or array processing modules?
> Or might it be possible to use these proven C libraries through
> Erlang?

I think you should probably design a processing model first and then when you
know how it should operate go looking for the best platform. Erlang probably
won't be it, more likely MPI or its ilk, simply because Erlang isn't designed
to move large amounts of data (you're probably talking GB); but rather to be
massively concurrent on small narrow tasks.

Erlang can interact with programs in the host through "ports" which can be eg.
IPC pipes or specially written shared libraries loaded by erlang.

Read the Interoperability Tutorial for more info on this:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/tutorial/part_frame.html

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo!7 Mail has just got even bigger and better with unlimited storage on all webmail accounts.