[erlang-questions] Erlang and geospatial data

Matthew Perry perrygeo@REDACTED
Sat Jul 14 05:06:35 CEST 2007

Hi all,

 My main programming experience is working with geospatial data as
either raster grids (easily expressed as 2D arrays) or vector data
(points,lines or polygons expressed as a sequence of verticies with
x/y coordinates). There are many great tools for geospatial data
written in the C language family (numpy, GDAL, GRASS, etc). But most
operations are cpu-bound and don't readily take advantage of multiple
cores even though the algorithms themselves are quite friendly to
parallel processing.

 Not coincidentally, this is why I started looking at Erlang. Has
anyone had any experience using Erlang to analyze similar data
structures? Do there exist any geometry or array processing modules?
Or might it be possible to use these proven C libraries through
Erlang?

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller