[erlang-questions] avoid -import. Why?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon Jul 9 00:16:37 CEST 2007

Hi,

The programming_rules document is quite old and need to be updated but
I think most of it is still valid.

I think the "don't use import is still as valid as it was when the
recommendation was
written. The code is usually much easier to read when you can see from
the syntax which module the function you are calling resides in and
that all
calls without module qualifier is local calls.

I know other variant of this rule where only very well known modules in stdlib
like lists are imported and all other calls uses explicit module qualifier.

The tool exref is replaced with xref since several years.

/Kenneth (OTP team at Ericsson)