[erlang-questions] xmerl still slow?

Erik Stenman Erik.Stenman@REDACTED
Wed Jan 31 16:44:46 CET 2007

Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Erik Stenman wrote:
>
>> Are you saying ejabberd has a performance problem?
>
> I'm saying that they went with expat instead of xmerl for performance
> reasons.
Are you sure? There are several reasons for going with expat instead of
xmerl,
I am not sure that performance is the reason ejabberd uses expat.
More likely they wanted a finished fully implemented streaming xml-parser.
But I have no insight into the development of ejabberd so I don't know.

> It appears that performance mattered to them. According to you they
> shouldn't be using XML but it's part of the XMPP protocol
> specification :-).
I still say that if parsing XML takes to much time then there is
something wrong with your protocol.
Too bad if the protocol is forced on you.
My experience is that you very seldom have to worry about Erlang
performance.
Implement your application first. Then measure. Then use HiPE. Then worry.
You probably don't even have to measure because the prototype is fast
enough.

/Erik