[erlang-questions] Erlang Extension Proposals (EEPs)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jan 29 20:51:33 CET 2007

--- Per Gustafsson <per.gustafsson@REDACTED> wrote:

> In conjunction with the Erlang User Conference 2006
> there was a workshop
> concerning the future development of Erlang.
>
> In this workshop a decision was made to adopt the
> Python process for
> future Erlang development. Since nothing has
> happened since then I have
> taken it upon myself to edit PEP 1, the python
> extension proposal which
> describes how the python process works. This should
> be viewed as a draft
> so please feel free to suggest changes. There are
> also a lot of decision
> that needs to be made and issues that need to be
> solved. I'll list some
> of them below.

I think the basic concept sounds useful, since it may
make proposals more concrete and discussions better
focused, and it preserves a history of the decisions
made. Of course, there still may be devils in the
details.

My first question is: is this intended for changes to
Erlang, or to Erlang/OTP? Given that the ultimate
acceptance decision seems to taken by OTP, it seems
like we're really talking about Erlang/OTP?
(Alternatively, that the two are basically the same.
This issue is a bit unclear at present.)

And, second question, will OTP henceforth primarily
use this process to introduce changes to the language?

Best,
Thomas