[erlang-questions] Distinguishing CORBA user and system exceptions

Dominic Williams <>
Fri Jan 26 13:43:50 CET 2007

Is there a simple way of distinguishing between user and
system CORBA exceptions ?

They both have the same form: {'EXCEPTION', E}, where E is a
tuple (or record) whose first element is an atom.

Neither of the options I see seems very satisfactory:

- check whether the atom is one of the 36 or so system

- if the second element of the tuple looks like
  "IDL:Foo/Bar:1.0", we have a user exception;

- if the exception is a 4-tuple whose last element is one of
  (probably) have a system exception.

Am I missing something?

Dominic Williams