[erlang-questions] OO programming style in Erlang?

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Tue Jan 23 17:52:49 CET 2007

> When I started the thread I didn't want to ask "How can
> I write OO in Erlang" (the mail has a bad subject) but
> rather "How to write properly in Erlang" which is what
> I have stll trouble with (at least it seems to me that
> way). But I guess that this, as everything, takes time
> to learn...

One great way to pick up the idioms is to study code by the masters.
The OTP sources can be a great source of inspiration and examples of
the "right way".

Quite a bit (most) of the code in Jungerl also probably qualifies.
Yaws is high profile but probably not my favourite example of good
erlang style (too much use of get/put (yagpb) ).

mnesia is quite awesome, but rather heavyweight as a learning tool.

Suggestions for "Best Practice" open source erlang projects anyone?

> Regarding OO, there is only a few programming languages
> that are "OO enough for me" (picking only those I know):
> Smalltalk, CLOS. I've also read some articles about Self
> and it looks quite good but I have never programmed in it.

A certian Lisp/Smalltalk hacker round these parts keeps telling me
that Smalltalk is something like Erlang in concept, but I never quite
listened hard enough to see why ;-)

Sean