[erlang-questions] OO programming style in Erlang?

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Tue Jan 23 16:29:07 CET 2007

Nice and well written article.

I've been thinking about making a blog post with the title

"Erlang is objects done right"

But given the amount of free time I have these days I might as well
summarise it here:

Two events from the past came together in my mind recently. For many
years before becoming an Erlang addict I tried half heartedly to learn
"programming". My job did not require it, but it seemed like a useful
skill.

I recall becoming very frustrated with the concept that calling a
method of an object was referred to as sending the object a
message. How can it be sending a message I thought - messages are
things that can only be passed between things with their own parallel
existence.

That attempt to learn that language (possibly C++, I don't recall)
soon ended in distraction.

The second event 8 or 9 years later was a conversation with possibly the
world's greatest C++ zealot.

One argument used to persuade me to give up on Erlang for C++
included the
phrase "But Sean, you are the most object oriented guy I know. Erlang
is all about sending messages between objects".

I could only agree.

So, I conclude Erlang is objects done right.

This should not be taken as any kind of contradiction to my statement
quoted below :-)

Sean