[erlang-questions] OO programming style in Erlang?

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Jan 22 14:03:50 CET 2007

Den 2007-01-22 13:23:53 skrev Sean Hinde <sean.hinde@REDACTED>:

> On 22 Jan 2007, at 11:39, Ulf Wiger wrote:
>
>> Den 2007-01-22 11:52:35 skrev Ladislav Lenart <lenartlad@REDACTED>:
>>
>>> *Question:* Is there a way such polymorphism can be
>>> achieved in Erlang without actually merging (see above)
>>> the modules that should behave polymorphically?
>>
>> No universally agreed upon common method, no,
>> if I understood your question correctly.
>>
>> Xmerl, for example, introduced a notion of module
>> inheritance, [...]
>>
>> I don't know if anyone has actually made use of it.
>
> I suspect not.
>
> IMO the most important thing to take away from this
> discussion is that OO style is not the normal or
> best way to program in Erlang.

I read that as Sean's very polite way of dismissing
that last piece of "advice" as utter crap.  (:

I should perhaps have stated more clearly that I didn't
mean to suggest that I had a good solution, and the
rest of the community didn't get it.

Suffice it to say that I wrote that code originally
back in 2000, and I've never reused the concept since.

I agree fully with Sean.

BR,
Ulf W
--