[erlang-questions] How to add a option for inet:getopts

Per Hedeland per@REDACTED
Fri Jan 19 16:41:55 CET 2007

"Valentin Micic" <valentin@REDACTED> wrote:
>[Serge wrote:]
>>
>> Hmm.  Is there a way to do the following call in a custom linked-in
>> driver without being a root?
>>
>>     socket(PF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_RAW);

Hm, I was considering whether to waste list bandwith just to let
everyone know that Serge reported in off-list mail that he realized his
misunderstanding, but now it's done.:-) I.e. of course my suggestion was
that the linked-in driver could do the capability-dropping (with
non-standard system calls), not that it could have special privileges.

>Interesting... if one changes shared object (implementing linked-in driver)
>owner to "root" and than use chmod 4755, would this make a whole run-time
>execute with root privileges?

Nope - runtime-loading of a shared object doesn't count as "execution"
on any Unix I know of, thus setuid is irrelevant (and even execute
permission is irrelevant IIRC - at least it should be).

--Per