[erlang-questions] Fwd: String encoding and character set

Romain Lenglet rlenglet@REDACTED
Thu Jan 18 01:53:16 CET 2007

Yes they do.

If the list is flat and contains only integer values (code-points)
between 0 and 255, then a special external representation is used, which
is efficient. But if the list is not flat, or contains values < 0 or >
255, then the normal external representation for lists and integers is
used, which is quite inefficient in that case.

Therefore, if you want to transfer non-ASCII strings efficiently, you
should rather encode them yourself into binaries, not using
list_to_binary/1.