[erlang-questions] Latent bugs in Erlang/OTP

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Fri Jan 12 09:39:45 CET 2007

Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> writes:

> I guess one point I am implicitly trying to make here is that even dead
> code might not be so harmless as its "dead" status might suggest, and
> worth taking a closer look. Typically, competent programmers do not
> write dead code.

I agree. Code can be dead because the pattern and/or guard is wrong, meaning
that some condition you intended to handle is not handled. A Dialyzer warning
for dead code once helped me to find a serious bug in Wings; the real bug was
in another clause, but I would never have started examining that code without
the hint from Dialyzer.

/Bjorn