[erlang-questions] String encoding and character set

Ludovic Coquelle lcoquelle@REDACTED
Wed Jan 10 11:28:47 CET 2007

On 1/10/07, Torbjorn Tornkvist <tobbe@REDACTED> wrote:

> Ludovic Coquelle wrote:
> > I found an 'iconv' driver in Jungerl.
> > But it has no documentation at all (ok, it should be fairly simple) and
> > no activity status.
>
> Well, it is very easy to use:

Indeed, really easy! Thank you for the detailed answer.

Anyway to "guess" the encoding of an input string?

> (I'm a bit tired to always get the same comment about Erlang: there is
> > no good string library ... and it's a show stop to Erlang adoption by
> > certain project and mine particularly)
>
> So what, exactly, is missing (apart from a proper string data type...) ?

Perhaps I was not clear... I don't think Erlang "miss" something about
string manipulation (only this encoding that you just solve) but that's
maybe because I come with some Prolog experience. Anyway I just don't
understand the real advantage of a string data type (for me it only means
that performance could be better), so I don't understand why people complain
so much about that.
Any previous discussion pointer about string data type?