[erlang-questions] Erlang SIGWINCH bugfix bounty

mats cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Thu Dec 20 09:28:25 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 10:31 -0800, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> Okay, this has been driving me nuts for the past three months:
>
> Open a terminal at 80 columns.
> Start erl.
> Resize the terminal to 120 columns.
> Type a 100 character atom and then a period.
> Press enter, then up, then down.
>
> The 2> prompt has now moved to partially overwrite the interpreter's
> output for evaluating the first line.  I have this problem in OS X's
> Terminal.app as well as xterm (running under X11.app), though how the
> output gets clobbered differs slightly.

  my experience is that the erlang shell history mechanism is pretty
useless unless the terminal is exactly 80 chars wide.
  now if you are a REAL PROGRAMMER, and hence use a VT100 terminal
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT100), it's not a big problem.

  mats