[erlang-questions] idle speculation: Ericsson Erlang vision/strategy

Tom Samplonius tom@REDACTED
Mon Dec 17 08:27:23 CET 2007

----- "Matthias Lang" <matthias@REDACTED> wrote:
> Andreas Hillqvist writes:
>
>  > Telecom is moving towards Long Term Evolution(LTE), where an aimed
>  > is to be an all-IP network.
>
> In the 90s, "everyone" was sure that ATM was going to take over the
> world. Operators wrote puffy press releases about their migration to
> unified all-ATM network. Will the current press releases about
> migration to all-IP networks seem just as naive in a few years?

  I guess that is the point though.  ATM lost to IP (well, lost to MPLS).  The point the is that IP is winning, and everything else is either losing or already forgotten.

> Sometimes, new technologies really do win. Ethernet has pretty much
> obliterated everything else, including ethernet. (When was the last
> time your ethernet needed to avoid a collision? Got any coax?)

  Well, collisions were just one aspect of Ethernet.  But half-duplex and full-duplex is still an issue on 802.11, where there is one channel for transmit and receive.

> Other times, sure hits go mostly nowhere. ISDN 2B+D springs to mind.

  Well, ISDN protocol types made BRI somewhat complex.  Too much configuration.

> Often, success is partial. Optical fiber has taken over the backbone
> but fallen victim to 'impossibly' high data rates over copper beyond.

???

> Erlang has a strong track record in the sort of complex control and
> protocol translation problems that pop up whenever you move to the
> latest "next big thing" from the previous "next big thing".

  Since there are a least five things that have to be transitioned away from these days, and given that a single technology doesn't solve every problem, this is basically a perpetual requirement.

> Matt

Tom