[erlang-questions] clarify: Ericsson Erlang vision/strategy

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Dec 11 21:33:18 CET 2007

--- Andreas Hillqvist <andreas.hillqvist@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Telecom is moving towards Long Term Evolution(LTE),
> where an aimed to
> is to be an all-IP network.
> How dose an Erlang/OTP IP switching product stack up
> against Cisco C++
> (or what they are using) product?

Which Erlang/OTP IP switching product are you thinking
about? Though it would be kind of interesting to build
an xorp-style router with an Erlang routing engine.

> Is Erlang/OTP the natural/best choice to develop
> core network products
> for LTE or will Ericsson have to adapt and move away
> from Erlang?
>
> I believe in Erlang/OTP. I believe that Erlang/OTP
> has an big
> advantage now when we are moving towards SMP,
> because that Erlang is
> concurrent-oriented.
> Erlang/OTP is also a mature platform that has proven
> to survive in the past.
>
> But I would appreciate your point of view.

I'd say Erlang/OTP is almost too mature (overripe?) at
this point, and I'm only half joking. (Consider for
how long it has already been supported as open
source.) When you have read this list for a while, you
will begin to appreciate the commitment to backwards
compatibility.

If Ericsson would decide to stop supporting Erlang
(quite unlikely, IMO) then it would be straightforward
to put the code in a public repository and carry on.
And, who knows, Erlang might even evolve more quickly
that way. We might be able to drop some of the three
nearly-identical varieties of boolean operators, for
instance :-)

Best,
Thomas