[erlang-questions] AVG found threat in latest Win32 release

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Sat Dec 8 19:10:13 CET 2007

On Dec 8, 2007 5:01 PM, Bob Calco <bobcalco@REDACTED> wrote:
> I've been trying to download and install the latest OTP 12B-0 binary release
> for Win32 from your download page but AVG blacklists it because it perceives
> a threat called "Download.QQHelper.ce" in it. As a consequence I can't
> install it on either my XP or Vista machines where I have AVG installed.
>
> I have filed a report with AVG asking them to confirm it's not a false
> positive, but thought I'd let you know of the issue in case there is a way
> you can inspect the installer for the "threat". I'll let you know what they
> came back with.
>
> FYI I didn't have this issue with the last 11B release. It downloaded and
> installed with no issues on both machines.

On Dec 8, 2007 5:01 PM, Bob Calco <bobcalco@REDACTED> wrote:
> I've been trying to download and install the latest OTP 12B-0 binary release
> for Win32 from your download page but AVG blacklists it because it perceives
> a threat called "Download.QQHelper.ce" in it. As a consequence I can't
> install it on either my XP or Vista machines where I have AVG installed.
>
> I have filed a report with AVG asking them to confirm it's not a false
> positive, but thought I'd let you know of the issue in case there is a way
> you can inspect the installer for the "threat". I'll let you know what they
> came back with.
>
> FYI I didn't have this issue with the last 11B release. It downloaded and
> installed with no issues on both machines.

You're lucky that I was using a Windows laptop with AVG Free and not
my main workstation to read mail. You're less lucky as I was
not able to reproduce the described behavior by downloading the
installer some minutes ago, installing and starting/testing the Erlang
Windows GUI console.

Strange.

AVG Version: 7.5.503 with signature set 269.16.17/1178 from 2007-12-08.

Either you're AVG version is something different than the one installed
here or I'm lucky :)

Sorry.