[erlang-questions] simple question: how to convert integers to string with fixed digits

Matej Kosik kosik@REDACTED
Sat Dec 1 12:28:26 CET 2007

Hello,

In Squeak there is a method

	Integer > printing-numerative > printStringLength:padded:

It can be used as follows. Evaluation of

	2 printStringLength: 2 padded: true

yields

	'02'

Evaluation of

	12 printStringLength: 2 padded: true

yields

	 '12'

Is there an analogous function in Erlang? Note that I am not looking for

	integer_to_list/1

because I need to get strings of "fixed length" padded with zeros on the left. Is there directly
something similar or should I write my own such function?

NOTE: I would like to print dates and times into my logs.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Similar question.

In Squeak there is a method

	Integer > printing-numerative > printStringBase:length:padded:

Evaluation of

	11 printStringBase: 16 length: 2 padded: true

yields

	'0B'

Evaluation of

	255 printStringBase: 16 length: 2 padded: true

yields

	'FF'

Is there analogous function in Erlang? The `format' string already has support for printing
hexadecimals but not of "fixed length". Am I right?

NOTE: I would like to print MAC addresses in a standard way.

Thanks in advance.
- --
Matej Kosik