[erlang-questions] Game of Erlang life [was: Load testing in parallel]

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Wed Aug 15 13:30:55 CEST 2007

Of course your own "circles" can be different from what was described -
each developer has his own degree of interest, pace and learning curve.

If you are approaching Erlang from "number crunching" crunching
perspective from the very beginning it might be a disappointment to see
10x performance drop compared to C/C++/Pascal family.  But in doing so,
you may be missing the point - Erlang is a domain-specific language.
Despite the fact that it's a general-purpose language - there are parts
of it that really excel - namely its approach to concurrency,
declarative style and robustness through OTP.  As Scott mentioned in one
of the recent emails - you really begin appreciating this robustness
when your programs work reliably and your pager is quiet.

Serge