[erlang-questions] Erlang vs. Stackless Python

Zac Brown zac@REDACTED
Fri Aug 3 19:35:06 CEST 2007

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:15:06 +0200, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) wrote:

> Zac Brown wrote:
>>
>> The reason for that is that its not really even a parallel
>> test since there's only one process running at a time so
>> you're just making one big line, that could easily be
>> accomplished by one process constantly talking to itself.
>> Dumb way to show erlang's power if you ask me :).
>
> Well, it does illustrate the cost of spawning and
> the cost of message passing, and how the cost depends
> on the number of concurrent processes.
>
> It's been a while since I looked at Stackless Python,
> but I believe its "processes" are not quite as
> capable as Erlang processes, esp. in terms of fault
> tolerance and debug support. By all rights, they should
> be cheaper than Erlang processes...
>
> BR,
> Ulf W

So its more of a minimum critical mass you need to meet kinda thing? As in
you need at least a certain amount of concurrency before the cost of
spawning procs pays off in scalability? A scalability vs proc creation
cost graph I guess?

Zac