[erlang-questions] Split brain in disributed Erlang?

Tom Samplonius tom@REDACTED
Fri Apr 27 23:31:38 CEST 2007

  How do you deal with split brain issues in distributed Erlang?  In my case, I would like a single process that is running on a node, processing messages.  If the node fails, start the process elsewhere.  But if the "node" fails, is it down, or just unreachable?  I don't want it be possible for be two nodes to be working on the same request.  I assume that using 3+ nodes and a quorum type system is the standard solution?  Is there a library for managing this?

  Basically, if a node detects it is not part of the quorum (can't see a majority of the nodes), it should stop doing anything, until it can rejoin.  And if the quorom master notices that a node has disappeared that was doing some sort of monitored process, it should restart that process on another node.

Tom