[erlang-questions] inets for web services? (Tom Samplonius)

Tom Samplonius tom@REDACTED
Fri Apr 27 02:49:13 CEST 2007

> > The first problem, I found is "Modules" is a required directive
> > (which is not mentioned).  And "BindAddress *" is not only not the
> > default, or it does not work on FreeBSD, as I had to explicitly define
> > the IP.
> >
> Modules should have a default  value the required attributes of
> httpd.conf should be:  server_name, port, server_root, document_root.

  Well, if Modules is not specified in the config file, I get this error:

tom@REDACTED:~/erlang$
tom@REDACTED:~/erlang$ erl -config inets
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.4 [source] [hipe]

Eshell V5.5.4  (abort with ^G)
1> application:start(inets).

=ERROR REPORT==== 26-Apr-2007::17:25:25 ===
failed to create child spec for
[{file,"/usr/home/tom/erlang/httpd.conf"}]
due to: "httpd_conf: Modules must be specified in the config file"
ok

It seems pretty clear that "Modules" is both mandatory, and must be set.

> >   Is there any documentation on a minimal inets config for a web
> > service?  It looks like I need a minimum, of a inets.config,
> > httpd.conf, and a mime.types file too.
> >

> Yes those should be the files that you need.
> The mime.types is hard coded to  be located under  $SERVER_ROOT/conf
>
> (god knows why) and is mandatory. We plan to change that.
> There is an example under  inets/examples but it is not minimal.
>
> Hope that helps.

  Yes, it does.  I'm going to look at YAWS now.  I've already built it, and it compiled a .c file, so it does not look that promising so far.  There seems to be two contradictory uses of "embedded":

1. Running an application in some sort of special purpose device,
2. Running as a component of a larger application.

I'm interested in the later.  I was shocked to see that inets httpd is basically an Apache clone, so it is hard to get at the just the httpd bits.  I guess an Apache clone is useful if you want to enable a web server on your router.

Tom