[erlang-questions] xUnit implementation for Erlang ?

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Thu Apr 19 04:27:22 CEST 2007

fb> I dreamt of using Erlang as the backend database for my Ruby
fb> applications tonight.  Wouldn't that be cool :)

There isn't anything built-in to OTP that would allow you to do that,
but it's certainly doable.  I've written a TCP interface + small query
language to Mnesia, so C++ applications can use Mnesia for backend
storage.

The only "problem" then is designing the syntax of the query language
and the semantics behind it, e.g. is simple put/get/delete of
individual items enough, or do your clients need to update multiple
items inside a full transaction?  Are the things you're storing simple
key-value pairs of Erlang binaries, or do you want to expose more
Erlang data types to the outside world (e.g. integer, list, tuple).

If there were a Ruby implementation of Erlang's external
term format/serialization/"pickling", then you could use it to
overcome most of the syntax problem.

-Scott