[erlang-questions] Charset conversion / stylistic question.

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Apr 17 22:38:24 CEST 2007

Hi Tim,

There is a problem in your map/2 function.
The call to list_to_binary/1 makes it non-tail recursive,
so the recursion cannot reuse the stack frame.
Also, you will get many unnecessary calls to list_to_binary()
(one per iteration).

One could instead write like this

map(F, Bin) ->
  list_to_binary(map_1(F, Bin))

map_1(F, <<A:8, Rest/binary>>) -> [F(A)|map_1(Rest)];
map_1(_, <<>>) -> [].

In your map, the terminating case returned <<>>, which
would be right for a call to map(F, <<>>), but when
ending the iteration creates a non-proper list, e.g.
[$a,$b,$c|<<>>]. This is tolerated by list_to_binary(),
but you should be aware that it is happening, because
it can bite you in other situations.

In OTP R11B-4, there is support for binary comprehensions,
even though it's still experimental. With it, I believe your
function could be done in this fashion (haven't tried it
myself, the syntax might not be quite correct):

map(F, Bin) ->
    << F(C):1 || C:1 <<- Bin >>.

BR,
Ulf W