[erlang-questions] Wrapping C libraries in pure Erlang

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Wed Apr 4 16:16:18 CEST 2007

Part of the issue is that this approach would make it possible for a
function call inside a 3rd party library to block for a while.  Since
Erlang's concurrency is dependent on the fact that function calls are
very short, and the emulator uses reduction-based counting for giving
CPU slices to each light-weight process a blocking call would
significantly inhibit concurrency.

Drivers solve this problem by allowing asynchronous invocation of
blocking functions in the context of threads different from the
emulator(s) (*).  In case of a driver or a port, once you are on the
C-side of coding interface, you can make calls to any 3rd party library
directly without needing FFI (except for cases of functions with
variable arguments), which may bring you to the question of why bother
with such an Erlang library if you already have ports and drivers that
can be written in C or even ei interface for writing C-nodes that can
make any C-calls safely with respect to the emulator?

There were attempts at somewhat automating generation of a driver using
EDTK tooklit (**) or Dryverl (***) that some people found useful.
Others prefer having more control and coding drivers by hand.

Regards,

Serge

(*)   Emulators can run in multiple threads if SMP support is enabled.
(**)  http://www.snookles.com/erlang/edtk/
(***) http://forge.objectweb.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1018