[erlang-questions] GUI idea

Dmitrii Dimandt dmitriid@REDACTED
Fri Sep 8 17:30:13 CEST 2006

On 9/8/06, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 9/8/06, Dmitrii Dimandt <dmitriid@REDACTED> wrote:
> > Well, I think it's better to hook with HTMLayout. However, there is a
> > downside to HTMLayout - it's not opensource (though free for any use
> > whatsoever) :(
>
> Mmmm, it doesn't look like it's free...

It is :) The author didn't state that quite correctly on the site, but it is
(http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/prices.whtm):

You may utilize HTMLayout Component Software Product free of charge in any
manner you see fit (subject to the limitations outlined in this license) to
build commercial or non-commercial applications and components.

Your application shall include link to Terra Informatica site in "About"
dialog or similar place in your application. Text of the link: This
Application (or Component) uses HTMLayout Component, copyright Terra
Informatica Software, Inc. (http://terrainformatica.com).

Well. It's not too good of a license. And it's not opensource :( But it is
currently the most mature of such framewroks anywhere (see demo
applications<http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/HTMLayoutDemo.zip>)
to see what I mean (and whatch the next line of the entire Norton product
line to sport a HTMLayout interface, actually... :) ) AFAIK, the author is
currently working on a Linux port (since he's a regular at www.rsdn.ru, he
sometimes lets people in on some of the inside info)

However, it's not opensource, so, I guess, it's end of story :(

In any case, my point was that if there is an engine that generates
> dynamically the html & javascript required, then we can solve the gui
> problem. And also, since it's going to be in a browser, it will work
> remotely by default.
>
> Kind of an "X server in the browser" or something like that :-)

That's would definetely be great

/Vlad