net_adm:ping not working -- still not answered

erlang erlang@REDACTED
Fri Sep 1 01:52:27 CEST 2006

The status of this is that a couple of people have tried to help me to no avail.
None of you appear to use Windows(tm). Everything looks right, but the ping
function just does not seem to be able to resolve the host name. I've simplified
the test case down to 'a' and 'b' nodes on localhost. I can't ping from 'a' to 'b'.

net_adm:ping('b@REDACTED'). from console 'a' always returns pang. There are no
details, error messages or logs that I am aware of.

inet:gethostbyname('my-server').

returns {error,timeout}

epmd looks perfect.

J:\Program Files\erl5.5.1\erts-5.5.1\bin>epmd -names
epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
name b at port 1443
name a at port 1439

Using erl with long paths results in a crash dump from the erlang console.

I can

inet:gethostname().

ok, but

net_adm:dns_hostname('my-server').

fails.

I am testing on Windows Server 2003 on localhost with no local DNS server,
no domain controller, etc. Ordinarily my system can open sockets on localhost
and do just about everything.

Perhaps you can see what's going on.