[erlang-questions] Package Support/Use

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Tue Oct 31 00:11:28 CET 2006

On 30 Oct 2006, at 22:07, Eric Merritt wrote:

> Guys,
>
>   Why aren't packages used more often? They have been in the language
> for more than three years or so now. All of the tools bugs that I
> found when I first evaluated them seem to be resolved. Very little of
> the FOSS code I see uses them and none of the OTP code. Although, I do
> hear rumblings from individuals that they use them. I do see quite a
> lot of <prefix>_ style code. This is semantically equivalent to
> packages so why not just use packages? This is mostly a bit of
> curiosity on my part. I have started using packages again and found it
> to be pretty useful and I just wonder about other peoples experiences.

A couple of shallow theories (but maybe some truth..):

1. It looks a bit like Java and is therefore not to the taste of many
hardcore Erlang hackers.

2. It is pretty tedious traversing up and down deep directory
structures with Emacs, and most Erlang hackers I have come across use
Emacs for everything !

Maybe it is simply a solution to a problem that does not exist (yet)

Sean