[erlang-questions] Autoconf & Erlang

Hal Snyder hal@REDACTED
Mon Oct 30 04:22:52 CET 2006

FYI, here's a summary of the toolchain we use for Erlang on a VoIP
platform. It covers build system, release management, and
configuration management. It uses autoconf tools extensively. Auto-
tools simplify selection of development vs. release versions of
dependencies, aid in portability, simplify creation of source
distributions, and work well with packaging tools (which are designed/
maintained with high degree of autoconf support).

libraries and applications:

   spec. file
     a few lines of eterms naming app and configurables

   code generation / boilerplate
     create automake files: configure.ac, Makefile.am, vsn.mk
     supervisor
     application
     main .erl module
     .yaws status and configuration pages

   specific source
     additional modules as needed for this lib or app

   autotools (automake, autoconf)
     compile beams, create distfile

   netbsd pkgsrc
     main target OS: intel Solaris

   cfengine
     deploy on platform

Erlang nodes are similar:

   spec. file
     eterms naming node and component apps and libs

   code generation / boilerplate
     create automake files: configure.ac, Makefile.am, vsn.mk

   autotools (automake, autoconf): produce:
     .boot
     .script
     .sh - may run in home directory in test mode