[erlang-questions] Was Re: Bug ?! now Erlang comment (LONG LONG)

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Fri Oct 20 23:12:03 CEST 2006

I would like to comment this:

Erlang as a language has flaws, but I think that is the case with most
languages. I don't agree that this is the major problem that stops
Erlang from beeing more successful.

I also think that one of the major strenghts with Erlang is the
backward compatibility both on the language level, the libraries and
on the .beam format level.
This is beneficial for most users not only Ericsson.

I am not strongly against an evolution of the language or to design a
new language which keeps all the strengths of Erlang of today and
removes the flaws. I don't know how that language should look like to
become a great success perhaps it should have a syntax very similar
with java or javascript or some other well known language (similar on
the token and operator syntax level I mean)

But I still think it is best to continue the slow path with an
evolution or the current language, keeping backward compatibility as
much as possible. There are other things which are more important than
to drastically change the language.
Improvements in the Erlang VM, Standalone Erlang, A good GUI binding,
SMP support, ...

/Kenneth  (Responsible for the Erlang team at Ericsson)