[erlang-questions] Erlang for a SMTP server?

Count László de Almásy calmasy@REDACTED
Thu Oct 19 01:59:02 CEST 2006

Greetings,

I'm still new to Erlang, so bear with me if this is a dumb question.
Basically, I'm being tasked to write a simple SMTP proxy for my
company for incoming mail that answers on port 25, performs some
rudimentary anti-spam checks, and then forwards the connection along
to the "real" SMTP server, which may either be running on the same
machine under a different port, or on a different host's port 25.  The
idea is that this will be the application that has direct exposure to
the Internet, reject as much obvious spam mail as possible, and then
let the rest sail through for the real SMTP server to handle.  It must be
ultra scalable, supporting upwards of thousands of concurrent
connections.  Is Erlang a good choice for such a task?  The other
platforms I'm looking at are stackless Python and Twisted Python, but
Erlang seems like it might be a more natural choice.

Thanks.