[erlang-questions] Packaging for distribution

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Thu Oct 12 10:49:55 CEST 2006

Bob,
Package as an executable?
If this is a sticking point, I suppose you have to add Java, Perl,
Ruby and just about any other language to this category.
The general approach is to have your language, erlang original and
third party libraries in their default system install structure and
then have your custom app in its own structure.
Then just run erlang and reference your environment constraints.
Erlang does a very good job of being able to install multiple version
of erts and libraries within the same structure.  Notice the version
number after library name directories?  erts follows this same
version convention as this allows different version of core erlang
and libraries to coexist on the same server.
You can choose which version of erts and libraries to use by erlang's
app config file methods or do something custom in your app to load
the versions of libraries you want.
Having things for a packaged executable install (like a Windows
client app) is not compatible with general server admin practices.
Assuming you are talking about a server app.  If you need a packaged
client for use in what is generally poorly managed client
workstations, then we're back to needing some different packaging tools.
The bottom line is that for server apps, erlang does a very good job
of following tried and true Unix admin practices.
ke han