[erlang-questions] 2 questions

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Thu Nov 2 09:54:31 CET 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Nils Müllner wrote:

> hi,
> i have two questions:
>     1: is there a standard ide? currently i use erlide plugin for
> eclipse, but i don't find the debugger implemented in there...

nope...your best bets are erlide, vim plugins or emacs (which
apparently is very useful if you know how to use it ;)).
I always use the debugger built into erlang alongside my standard
editor (TextMate) or erlide.
Not sure how/if an eclipse compliant debugger could be done for erlide.

>     2: as i have to import every module i'd like to use, i wanted to
> ask, if there is a nice way to browse one folder for possible modules,
> list them and then let the user choose one without the need to import
> them all. reason: of my program is extended later, it would be nice to
> be able to write modules that are automatically detected.

not really sure what you mean...the way I handle things is to simply
put my custom libraries in either the core erlang/OTP lib directory
or have a separate lib directory and start up the erlang vm
referencing this additional path.  This method ensures your modules
are easily referencable within the vm and erlang shell.
if your referring to the way the debugger works, I don't have any
good advice for you as I find the debugger not friendly for choosing
modules.  I make it a practice to always compile my code with debug
info so its ready when I need it.
ke han