Parsing an incoming Shoutcast request

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Mon May 29 16:27:40 CEST 2006

This is covered in "Joe's spitting in the sawdust Erlang tutorials
Tutorial number 2"
(http://www.sics.se/~joe/tutorials/web_server/web_server.html)

You want to spawn (presumably) one handler/per connection -

I have a module that does this:

   http://www.sics.se/~joe/tutorials/web_server/tcp_server.erl

tcp_server exports a number of useful things. Including:

	start_raw_server(Port, Fun, Max)

Which starts a listening server on <Port> which accepts a maximum of
<Max> connections.
Each connection is handled by <Fun>, which runs in a separate parallel
processes and communicates with the client.

I'll just quote from the comments at the start of the module

%% To setup a lister

%% start_server(Port) ->
%%     S = self(),
%%     process_flag(trap_exit, true),
%%     tcp_server:start_raw_server(Port,
%% 				fun(Socket) -> input_handler(Socket, S)
end,
%% 				15,
%%                              0)
%%     loop().

%% The loop() process is a central controller that all
%% processes can use to synchronize amongst themselves if necessary
%% It ends up as the variable "Controller" in the input_handler

%% A typical server is written like this:

%% input_handler(Socket, Controller) ->
%%     receive
%% 	   {tcp, Socket, Bin} ->
%% 	      ...
%% 	      gen_tcp:send(Socket, ...)
%%
%%   	  {tcp_closed, Socket} ->
%%
%% 	Any ->
%% 	    ...
%%
%%     end.

This input handler probably is what you want. One of these is
spawned/per connection.

The local variable Controller can be used to communicate with the master
process (ie the
process evaluating loop()).

tcp_server.erl is very useful - I use it for virtually every networking
application
that I write :-)

/Joe