shootout - nsieve-bits benchmark

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Tue May 2 14:52:06 CEST 2006

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Matthias Lang writes:
>  > Kostis Sagonas writes:
>  >
>  >  > I've kept quiet till now, because I did not want to reveal the HiPE
>  >  > magic to the world,
>  >
>  > So, finally, zero-copy message passing is possible in Erlang. I offer
>  > the first example of abuse.
>  >

[...]

> [bytearrays] are used to good measure in the HiPE compiler, and they are clearly
> useful for fixing slow microbenchmarks, but programmers in general should
> NOT rely on them in any way.

    i'm sure i could speed up some of the benchmarks by using linked-in
drivers... but "fixing benchmarks" seems against the spirit of the Shootout.

> Now, if Erlang had general arrays with O(1) indexing and update operations
> I would be a happy programmer. But there are sound reasons, both language-
> philosophical ones and implementation-technical ones, why this is not the case.

   indeed. since the bytearrays are not only undocumented and unsupported, but
also very un-Erlangy, perhaps they should not be advertised on the Shootout web?

   mats