IBM developerWorks article

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Tue May 2 10:39:07 CEST 2006

Bruce Tate has published a nice introduction article on Erlang
concurrency approach on IBM DeveloperWorks site. He compares Erlang
comcurrency model with Java approach.

Bruce finds that the Erlang approach for concurrent development is well
suited and very efficient to develop parallel applications.

Here is an interesting abstract:
 "So Erlang simplifies the math behind building correct programs because
 the interactions between modules are all explicit and well defined.
 Also, the property of single assignment eliminates several kinds of
 common concurrency bugs.

 I've written only a few programs in Erlang that were only marginally
 more than trivial applications, but it struck me for the first time I
 could directly employ many of the techniques that I learned in my
 distributed-systems coursework at the University of Texas. I'll never be
 a concurrency expert, but in this case, a programming language brought
 some theory to life for me."

The full article is available from:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-cb04186.html?ca=drs-

Cheers,