obscure erlang-related publication

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Mar 29 08:09:14 CEST 2006

Matthias Lang <matthias@REDACTED> wrote
about the paper
	 > "A comparison of six languages for system level
	 > description of telecom applications"
	 > Jantsch, Kumar, Sander et al.
	 > http://www.imit.kth.se/~axel/papers/2000/comparison.pdf
to the effect that he wasn't really impressed.

Neither was I.

They are comparing languages for *hardware* and software concurrent
systems.

 - So they don't include Ada, which is a mature language with excellent
   tool support and good support for concurrency and structuring.  (And
   was in 2000.)

 - So they include C++, and then find to their great surprise that
   it doesn't do concurrency.  They _don't_ consider any of the
   parallel/distributed versions of C++.

 - So they include Haskell, but find to their great surprise that
   it doesn't do concurrency.  They _don't_ consider Concurrent Haskell.
   (Which I am pretty sure was around in 2000.  Certainly Concurrent
   Clean, which is pretty Haskell-like, was around then, and really
   was concurrent, although recent versions aren't.)

 - So they find, apparently to their surprise, that VHDL, which was
   designed for specifying hardware, is good at specifying hardware,
   and the other languages aren't.

 - They DO try to ensure that they aren't just reporting their prejudices
   by writing an application of the kind they care about in the several
   languages, but then they deliberately choose to say nothing about the
   code they got or their experience of writing it.

Their evaluation method basically amounts to making your preconceived
ideas of what kind of solution you are looking for seem respectable by
wrapping (arbitrary!) numbers around them.

Basically, the only thing I learned from that paper was "these people
are interested in this topic".  No, I tell a lie.  The other thing I
learned was that I have been a complete fool to myself by waiting until
I actually had some results worth discussing before publishing ideas.
Now I know how to get my publication count high...