Defensive programming

Pupeno pupeno@REDACTED
Wed Mar 29 00:36:39 CEST 2006

Hello,
I am used to defensive programming and it's hard for me to program otherwise.
Today I've found this piece of code I wrote some months ago:

acceptor(tcp, Module, LSocket) ->
    case gen_tcp:accept(LSocket) of
        {ok, Socket} ->
            case Module:start() of
                {ok, Pid} ->
                    ok = gen_tcp:controlling_process(Socket, Pid),
                    gen_server:cast(Pid, {connected, Socket}),
                    acceptor(tcp, Module, LSocket);
                {error, Error} ->
                    {stop, {Module, LSocket, Error}}
            end;
	{error, Reason} ->
	    {stop, {Module, LSocket, Reason}}
    end;

is that too defensive ? should I write it this way

acceptor(tcp, Module, LSocket) ->
    {ok, Socket} = case gen_tcp:accept(LSocket),
    {ok, Pid} = Module:start()
    ok = gen_tcp:controlling_process(Socket, Pid),
    gen_server:cast(Pid, {connected, Socket}),
    acceptor(tcp, Module, LSocket);

?

Thanks.
--